Friday, August 7, 2009

The Penguin Staff

This year for my birthday my parents gave me (among other things) a hiking stick. This was no ordinary hiking stick, for this was a hiking staff, crested by the figure of a penguin! This majestic creature, atop my staff is a true beauty, below is a picture of me with it on Little Ball mountain.

So far I have only used it once, while climbing Little Ball Mountain in Vermont. I hope to use it again next week with some of my best friends, Thomas and Matthew on a 6 mile hike to a waterfall, also in Vermont. I wonder when I will get other opportunities along the big adventure to use my Penguin staff; I’m looking forward to a lot of climbing and hiking, so I can really get to know it.

Ever since the age of 3 I have been fascinated by both polar bears, and penguins. The original reason for my love of both Arctic, and Antarctic animals, is when I was three, and I was given a polar bear stuffed-animal by my Grandpa. I didn’t actually like penguins until I was six or seven, after I saw the movie March of the Penguins. Once I had started liking penguins, there was just no stopping, I became so addicted to them that the next summer at day-camp I wrote a song about penguins, and preformed it in front of about 100 kids! The song went something like this:


“First you waddle to the left, then you waddle to the right,
Then you boogie, boogie, boogie, ‘til the broad daylight,
Do the penguin and turn yourself around,
Now it’s time to make the penguin sound:
First you squawk, squawk, squawk,
then you cock-a-doodle-doo,
Now you can teach your friends to do the penguin too!”


Tonight at 6:54:32 and a tenth of a second, it will be 09/8/7 6:54:32.1! At this precise time I will perform “The Penguin Dance” as a salute to penguins world-wide. Until then I’ll have to find another way to appease the penguin and polar bear gods. If, by any chance you have a spare goat, or other livestock please send it to me, as a sacrifice, until then I’ll stick with sacrificing my vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Josh,
    I loved seeing the penguin dance! I think that whenever you climb a high peak you should do the dance on the summit. ( with photos of course!) I'm looking forward to hearing more fun tales of your adventures.
    See you soon,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete