Monday, August 24, 2009

Various Sights Along the Road

On our way to Cooperstown, NY we saw some pretty strange sights. On our MapQuest directions number 11 was turn right at Banana Dan’s. So, we’re in the RV wondering; what on earth is “Banana Dan’s”? After about 12-13 minutes we see this massive sign saying “Banana Dan’s” towering above us.

My Dad, being who he is, immediately decided to play us the Harry Chapin song 30,000 pounds of Bananas. It’s a very entertaining song all about a delivery man delivering 30,000 pounds of bananas, but he loses control going down a steep hill in Scranton, PA, and the truck crashes! My favorite part is the chorus, when you’re hearing Harry Chapin with a light and more cheerful voice. Then this anonymous voice says “hit it big John” and to finish off the chorus you just hear the incredibly deep voice of “Big John” who, every chorus, sings “…of bananas”!

At last, once we have finally reached our destination, we set up camp at Shadow Brook campground (where we have been staying the past two nights). As soon as we got there we just had to try out the pool. The pool was great, there were even cool pool toys. In particular there was a really cool rocket that I kept tricking Simon with. The special thing about the rocket was if you threw the rocket about two feet, it would go about six feet. Simon really wanted the rocket so he could go diving for it, so I’d throw the rocket right next to him, but it really went about five feet behind him. When he went under water to go and pick it up, I quickly swam over to go pick it up while he wasn’t looking. We repeated this process six, or seven times before my mom started yelling at me, so I just handed it to him.

I think there will be lot’s of weird stuff throughout the year, like “Banana Dan’s” and I can’t wait to see it all (and, of course, blog about it). Here are some cool pictures, as well as a link to the song “30,000 Pounds of Bananas”!

No comments:

Post a Comment