Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Penguin Encounter at the St. Louis Zoo

Yesterday, the 27th of August I went to the St. Louis zoo, where there was an amazing penguin exhibit. I really liked this exhibit because all of the penguins had their own society, and it was really interesting watching them in their own little groups. I gave names to the individual penguins. Here are some pictures (and descriptions).


Here I am at the entrance to the penguin area, right behind me are the Humboldt penguins, indigenous to areas in South America, like Peru.


Here is a little penguin I like to call Albert, Albert is an extremely adventurous penguin, you will see many pictures of him later in my blog.

This is Albert, again. He is now quite sad because his favorite seat was just taken-up by a notorious seagull-thing know as Stuart.



Here is Albert once again, he's now having an all-out war against Stuart (the bigger, uglier, and closer one) the other seagull-thingy is known as the elusive Joe, known to snatch food out of unsuspecting penguin's mouth's.



Here is Albert, with his best friend Nick celebrating their victory in battle against the "forces of evil!"


Albert has now decided to go for a quick victory swim in the little penguin pond.



"Maybe my quick swim wasn't such a good idea" Albert is tentativly thinking right now. I think that he has a pretty good point.


At last he has made the leap of faith into the near-freezing waters and conquered all fear of the cold.


This is Nick again, curious to see where Albert has gone off to now. Little does he realize that Albert is swimming right below him.



Albert has gotten out of the penguin pool, and he and Nick have decided to take a little walk around their enclosure. Now I will leave to see some emperor penguins, as well as puffins, and a weird mutated duck-thing.


After I left the Humboldt exhibit I went on to go see the Emperor penguins, plus I saw some puffins, and an Eider Duck, which looks like a duck with an oddly shapen mushroom for a beak. I hope you enjoy these pictures (and, as I mentioned earlier, descriptions):


This is another of my favorite birds, the puffin. This puffin, however is very curious, I have named him Claude.


Here, floating absent-mindedly on the water is Simon. Simon is an Eider duck (the fungus-beak one I mentioned earlier). I call him Simon because he reminded me of Simon Cowell, he just looks annoyed at the world.



Here is the last picture, it is of an Emperor penguin baby whom I like to call Frank. Frank is an incredibly energetic penguin, who is always running around, looking for fun.


I hoped you liked my penguin, puffin, and weird seagull-thing pictures. In my opinion the best pictures were the ones of Alfred and friends. I liked them because they actually gave me some idea as to what a day would be like in the life of a penguin. Please comment on what your favorite picture was.

1 comment:

  1. Josh - I like the photo of Nick adn Albert together celebrating their victory again the forces of evil because they look so silly. I think thay look like they are singing. xo,mom

    ReplyDelete