Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer Camp

Three days ago I got back from spending four weeks at Camp Becket in the Berkshire mountains of Massachusetts. I have many mixed feelings about my time at camp, but over all it was a fun time.

The first week I was constantly tormented by someone who will go by the miscellaneous pseudonym of “Bill”. This “Bill” had the top bunk right above me, and was the first to tell me of my non-existent snoring problems. The incredibly frustrating part of it all was that my parents didn’t receive the letters I had sent them telling them about my predicament with “Bill” until one or two weeks into camp! Thus without the letters I’d sent them, they knew not of my troubles, and so I didn’t get any help from my councilors, until a week or two into camp!

Luckily the camp director was very helpful, that is, once he knew what the problem was. After the first week and a half, I had a pretty good time at camp, even though “Bill” was still being a jerk. As it buckled down to the last week of camp “Bill’s” evils only spread. At one point some people realized that I wasn’t actually snoring, and stood up in my defense. Since “Bill” had the bunk above me he aggressively retorted that, “I have the bunk above Josh, and so I should know whether he snores, or not!”

Finally, now that it is all over I look back on my time at camp and think, hey, there are people like “Bill” everywhere and what I’ve taken out of my experience is that sometimes life gives you creeps, and you might just have to make creepo juice. That didn’t come out right at all, but the message it there; Sometimes there are mean people out there, and most of the time you just have to deal with them.

During the third week, was when other cast members and I preformed the “Big Show”! Every day is either an M day or a T day (except when on Sundays we skipped electives to have an idiotic chapel). Each M and T day we had 3 electives (Big Show is a 2-block activity, so we only had two electives on T days), and on every T day we would have Big Show for our second, and third blocks. To sum it up we had a lot of practice.

On our third week at camp we preformed the Big Show. This year’s Big Show was all about a group of campers who were trying to put on the Big Show. So really it was all about a play within a play and the play was the Tempest. I played the part of Spike, who in the Tempest played Miranda.

In a nutshell I think the play turned out wonderfully, and that we as the cast did a great job. There were a few little errors, and one big error, when someone forgot their lines and we missed out on about 20 minutes of conversation, but all in all it turned out great.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Josh, it's Leo here. I just got back from camp yesterday after finishing second session. I actually stayed in cabin Clark; my new co was Nick Mead-Fox, who you might remember from first session (he was in cabin Glenn). My second session cabin was very different than your cabin. The boy who slept in Del's bunk second session discovered at least 10 places where Del wrote in sharpie "Del is bored during cabin clean-up" or "Del is bored during siesta". I wasn't surprised in the least bit. I'm sorry about your problems with "Billy", but I'm glad you got a message out of the entire situation. I hope that Cliff and I helped make it not as bad. I'm sorry that you think that chapel is idiotic, even as a non-believer as yourself (as you portrayed in some of your chat answers), I am still able to get a lot out of chapel. The messages can be truly powerful. Also, as a completely unbiased and indifferent person, you did snore very loudly on occasion, as I'm sure your entire family knows by know after sleeping in an RV with you. That being said, the snoring is not your fault and completely out of your control, and the fact that some of the other kids blamed you for it was completely unfair. Whenever I heard it, I used it as white noise and it helped me go to sleep. In closing, it was a pleasure having you in the cabin, I hope you have a great year, and I really, really want you to come back next year.
    Amici,
    Leo

    ReplyDelete