Friday, February 26, 2010

Poems Inspired By The Zoo

Yesterday I went to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C., when I was there I wrote a series of short 2-3 line poems about different animals, here they are:

Panda
A panda is a boring creature
Its cute face is
Its only notable feature.


Meerkat
Watching quizzically from their burrows,
And when they see you,
Their little brow furrows.


Armadillo
Hiding in his shell all day
Rarely coming out
To eat, sleep, or play.


Octopus
Clinging to the tank wall
They use their suction cups,
So they won’t fall.

I hope you liked my shorter poems please leave comments on my blog about what you thought of them.

4 comments:

  1. You are in the great poetic stream of Ogden Nash.
    Here is what he wrote on an octopus:

    THE OCTOPUS
    Tell me, O Octopus, I begs
    Is those things arms, or is they legs?
    I marvel at thee, Octopus;
    If I were thou, I'd call me Us.

    ... and the Ostrich:

    THE OSTRICH
    The ostrich roams the great Sahara.
    Its mouth is wide, its neck is narra.
    It has such long and lofty legs,
    I'm glad it sits to lay its eggs.

    Here, click on 'animals', are more:
    http://jrago.com/Ogden_Nash.htm#Animals

    He also wrote poems to be read with a musical composition called
    'Carnival of the Animals', by Camille Saint-Seans. You will have to ask your mother how to pronounce Saint-Seans.

    As a matter of fact, the opening poem had that as the topic:

    Camille Saint-Saens
    Was wracked with pains,
    When people addressed him,
    As Saint-Saens.
    He held the human race to blame,
    Because it could not pronounce his name,
    So, he turned with metronome and fife,
    To glorify other kinds of life,
    Be quiet please - for here begins
    His salute to feathers, fur and fins.

    http://www.ncusd203.org/river_woods/musicweb/rwwebsite/carnival_animals/nash_carnival.html

    Very good stuff!

    Love,

    ORGp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh, These were really cool! Congrats, you are so brilliant as always :) Take care and hope to see you soon. Viki, Barnabas & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey josh! it's me, Evan! im surprised that you never posted anything about when you stayed here. DIdn't you have a fun time?
    Anyways, just wanted to say good job on the poems. I really liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh, I loved them, especially the one about the pandas, I must agree with you on it:)

    ReplyDelete