Friday, February 5, 2010

Ocean Poetry

I am writing this blog from the Island of Hawaii, in the little house that we are renting for the three days we will spend on this island, until we fly to the island of Maui. Here in Hawaii I have been inspired to write poetry about various sea creatures and in this blog I will share those poems with you.

The first poem is the revised edition of my poem “The Kraken” originally written for my writing course with the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, but it now has a life of its’ own. Also, I have been working on some poetry about the ocean, inspired by my travels in the Hawaiian Islands. The second poem is about life from the point of a crab and how it wonders about a world bigger than its own tide-pool. The third (and final) poem I call “Musings of the Grandfather”, it is about a turtle and how it looks down on the ocean and thinks about how short life is, and why can’t everyone (every-fish) live as long as his kind does.


The Kraken

From the depths,
Of time,
Space,
And of the ocean itself,
There comes a call,
Mourning,
The once-great power
Over man
And his creation.
There comes a call,
From the spirit of the ocean,
From the murky depths
Known only to
Lobsters
And the squid,
And what other creatures
dwell on the bottom of the ocean
In between
The rocks,
And various sea plants,
All a fluorescent green.
The call is heard,
But not answered.
No one mourns,
The kraken.
The water is polluted
With hatred,
And loathing
The oceans boil with evil
The sea
Roars with rage
Waves crash on distant shores,
A storm is brewing
A storm of all storms
A tribute to the kraken
A last gift from the sea.
No man mourns the kraken,
Because it was kraken,
That stopped man from
Spreading his evil,
Kraken that stopped
The world of humans,
From entering the sea,
Now the kraken has gone,
And with it,
The sea’s dignity.
The oceans were sacred
A long time ago,
Because of the kraken,
The holy monster,
Kraken – the necessary evil.
But sadly,
Nothing but the seaweed
Swaying in the calm current,
And
Davy Jones himself
Mourns the loss
of the Kraken,
And with it
The loss of
The world’s greatest treasure:
The birth place of everything,
Where amazement flows eternally,
We know it as the sea,
The ocean
The lake of all lakes.
But it is so much more than that
It is Eternity,
It is Wonder
It is Life.


Life Beyond the Shell

The sea crashes
All around me.
I scuttle across the mountain
That is a rock.
I look out
Through the eyes
Of a crab
And wonder
How big is the world,
Beyond my shell?


Musings of the Grandfather

I see some fish
They are swimming
Under water.
They are all colors
Moving quickly
Through the water.
They lead short lives
Of little meaning,
But they are content,
And so am I.
I am the father of
The fish,
I am Turtle.

I really liked these poems, and I hope that you do too, please leave comments on what you thought of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment